- Assist with the delivery of conservation programs
- Full time, fixed term – 4 month period
- Three positions available
About Arts Centre Melbourne
Beneath our iconic Spire, in Hamer Hall and at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, we showcase the best of Australian and international performing arts.
We’re proudly the home of our flagship Resident Companies – The Australian Ballet, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Melbourne Theatre Company and Opera Australia – and a range of presenters who collectively bring our stages and spaces to life.
Together with our own program of performances, events and activities we offer a diversity of audiences a distinctly multidimensional approach to participation, education and entertainment.
We are now focused on Reimagining Arts Centre Melbourne as part of the Victorian Government’s commitment to transforming the Melbourne Arts Precinct into a thriving, connected creative and civic space over the coming years.
For a glimpse into working at Arts Centre Melbourne click here.
About the Team
The purpose of Collections is to enrich and inspire diverse audiences through the understanding and enjoyment of Australian performing arts history.
The objectives of the Business Unit are:
- To be Australia’s leading museum for the performing arts and create a world class venue to showcase the Performing Arts Collection.
- To demonstrate excellence in the care, development, preservation, documentation, and display of the Performing Arts Collection and Public Art Collection
- To provide our audiences with meaningful experiences through dynamic exhibitions and public programmes, and innovative digital engagement.
- To recognise and celebrate our diverse communities and their role in the visual and performing arts
- To support contemporary practitioners through active collecting, exhibiting and commissioning
About the Roles
These positions will assist with the delivery of conservation programs aimed to preserve the State Collection of the Performing Arts and the Public Art Collection at the Arts Centre Melbourne.
In this role, you will be performing and documenting remedial and preventive conservation work on a wide variety of 2D and 3D objects including paintings, tapestries and outdoor sculpture under the direction of the Objects Conservator.
You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, providing you the opportunity to enhance and broaden your professional skills.
Full-time fixed term (4 months), salary $68,289.65 per annum plus superannuation.
Your Skills and Experience
- Experience in the remedial conservation of objects made from a wide variety and scale of materials within multi-disciplinary heritage collections.
- Experience in preventive conservation programs and projects focused on integrated pest management programs, improved storage/rehousing and environments for collections.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team setting to deliver projects, to manage and prioritise activities as a team to meet project timelines.
- Experience and competency in the use of collection management documentation systems such as Axiell EMu, photography and digital imaging for condition reporting.
- Knowledge of national and international preservation, conservation and museological frameworks, principles, ethics, related to multi-disciplinary heritage collections, including compliance for OH&S policies and procedures.
This role has physical requirements such as working at heights, standing for long periods, climbing ladders & scaffolds and pushing trolleys between Arts Centre Melbourne’s buildings.
For more details please read the position description:
Assistant Conservator PD.docx
Enjoy Team Member Benefits
As a valued member of our ensemble, you will enjoy a number of fantastic benefits including the opportunity to receive complimentary tickets, food & beverage discounts, discounted commuter benefits and onsite-parking, access to wellbeing activities and learning and development programs!
Please submit your resume together with a cover letter addressing the key criteria by 9 March 2021. Early applications are encouraged as suitable candidates may be invited to attend an interview [or appointed] prior to the closing date.
Employment at Arts Centre Melbourne is conditional upon the satisfactory completion of a National Police Check.
Applications are open to those with full working rights in Australia. Arts Centre Melbourne is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.